BREAST CANCER INFORMATION – DIAGNOSIS, TREATMENT AND RECOVERY
Breast Cancer Information Made Easy
Be a Survivor is a respected name in patient education, and is a resource that will give you and your loved ones breast cancer information on breast cancer diagnosis, treatment and recovery experience and empower you to become an active participant in this process.
Be a Survivor – Your Guide to Breast Cancer Treatment is an award-winning book written by Vladimir Lange, MD, whose wife, also a physician, was diagnosed with breast cancer years ago. Both were overwhelmed by the complexity of the information they had to process. The book was based on their desire to make the journey easier for others by providing breast cancer information in a clear, concise, and informative manner.
• The Avera Cancer Institute is a leading provider of innovative breast cancer treatment, and widely recognized and respected not only in the region, but nation-wide. The Avera multidisciplinary team of breast cancer experts who appear on this website, ensures that the breast cancer information is balanced, objective, and state-of-the-art.
• Dozens of patients and their partners—the women and men who have “been there”—have contributed their candid comments to help you understand your own feelings and frustrations at this difficult time. Their voices add an invaluable dimension to the learning and empowering message you are about to experience.
THIS WEBSITE WILL HELP YOU
• Assemble the best team of experts to ensure successful treatment
• Decide whether mastectomy or breast conservation is the right choice for you
• Evaluate your breast reconstruction options
• Understand how genomic testing can determine whether you need chemotherapy
• Deal with any side effects of chemotherapy that you might experience
• Learn about new treatments, such as IOeRT and Oncoplastic Surgery
• Consider appropriate complementary therapies
• Communicate effectively with your partner.
How To Use This Website
The site is organized in the sequence that mirrors your path through treatment and recovery. By presenting the breast cancer information in an organized fashion, you will be better able to focus on the topics you need most at various times.
First, we’ve provided a few suggestions on how to cope with your breast cancer diagnosis—coming to grips with your feelings so you can think and evaluate the facts. There are tips on what to tell your family, friends, and co-workers about your diagnosis, and how to assemble a network of support to help you get through the tough times.
Next is an overview of breast cancer information related to treatment. If you only read one section, make sure it’s this one. It will help you understand how the different aspects of your treatment fit together, so you can see your options more clearly.
The majority of the site consists of a detailed breast cancer information of the various procedures and treatments you may encounter, from diagnosis, to surgery, to systemic therapies, and complementary treatments. There is an important chapter devoted to your partner—husband, boyfriend or special man or woman in your life.
Let us hope that the day will come when your daughters, and ours, will find this website, and all other information on breast cancer, unnecessary.
We wish you a speedy recovery.
If you have further questions or would like more information,
please contact the Avera Breast Center team at
605-322-3000 or 1-800-657-4377