LUMPECTOMY OR MASTECTOMY?
Many women do not realize that they can choose between lumpectomy and mastectomy without compromising their life expectancy, or their chance of distant metastases.
Studies have proven that when it comes to survival, breast-conserving therapy (lumpectomy plus radiation therapy) is as effective as a mastectomy.
Review the pros and cons of each procedure. Then, in consultation with your healthcare team, and armed with an open mind, you can pick the procedure that you feel is best for you.
Wade Dosch, MD – How to make the choice…
Here are some issues to consider when making your choice between mastectomy and lumpectomy:
• Is the appearance of my breast after surgery important to me?
• Is the sensitivity in my breast after surgery important to me?
• If I have breast-conserving surgery, am I willing to have a course of radiation therapy?
• If I have a mastectomy, do I also want breast reconstruction surgery?
• What treatment does my insurance cover, and what do I have to pay for?